Monday, January 18, 2010

Mia the Muffin Baker

One of Mia's Christmas presents was a cupcake baking set. Since we can't have cupcakes we renamed it the Muffing baking set! She did most of the work as usual. I just measure the ingredients but she poured and mixed. I guided her on how full to make the muffin tins and put them in the oven. They turned out nicely!




Mia in a basket!

Last week we had a peanut incident at the post preschool. The teacher didn't realise that Mia's allergy was severe enough that she couldn't touch peanut butter. They did the classic preschool project where you put peanutbutter on a pinecone and roll it around in birdseed. Even though they used knives and spoons to put everything on, it was still enough to give her hives. When I picked her up from school my friend saw her before I did and asked "What happened to Mia's face?!" I noticed they were all carrying little baggies with the pinecones and told her teacher that she can't touch it. We had a conference the next day that included the school nurse. Her teacher was just horrified that she had put Mia in danger like that, she cried because she was so upset and scared. So we went over what she can't touch, ingest etc. We also recapped what symptoms to look for, what to do for them and when to use the Epipen. They are going through what I think is their third epipen training since school began, so I feel like it has been handled well. I'm just very thankful that it wasn't worse!

Before the benedryl kicked in

A couple of hours later
The pictures don't really show you how broken out she was, it was down her neck and chest, and she obviously touched her sides and her inside arm at some point because there was a cluster of hives in those places.

No comments: