Friday, January 23, 2009

Under the Weather

Well, my EGD didn't happen. Wednesday night Mia ran a high fever so I took her to the ER. It was a hoppin place that evening so we were there for about 3.5 hours. Her fever had dropped from 102.6 at the house (with a GOOD temporal thermometer!) to 101.5 at the hospital. I quickly realised that Mia's little cough and sniffle weren't as bad as the other kids in the room, hacking and coughing like old smokers. We were ultimately told that it was just a viral cold and nothing to be done but great for checking in since she is on Imuran. I had called the doctors office before we left because I knew there was no way I'd be able to let her go to preschool and no way was I going to get Helen and the family sick right now!
I let Helen know that we wouldn't be executing the awesome plan and we have been home ever since. Yesterday we did do a foray out to take my sewing machine to get a well overdue tune-up. It was squeaking and chirping during the last bit of the futon cover project so I knew it was time! She is feeling worse today, I believe. She didn't wake up until 930AM and wouldn't get out of bed until an hour after that, just laid there looking pitiful. We picked up the sewing machine and now she is lying on the couch watching Curious George. She felt so badly that she couldn't even mess with things in the sewing shop, just stayed limp on my shoulder.

It's so sad when a kid gets sick! You're used to some spunk and sass, and all you get is the stoned and wan look and the occasional, "Mamma, I have boogers. I need tissues."
Sure she's stationary and that means I should be able to get some stuff done, but I end up sitting and cuddling because that's what made me feel better when I was little and not feeling well.
I am prepared for my round, though. I am drinking Airborne like it's life juice and I bought a package of Zicam nose swabs for when I start to feel the first tingles of whatever this is. You always have to be a step ahead with kids!

No comments: